EXCITING CHANGES TO COME!!!

Dick and I have made some big changes for the year to come!! We are downsizing to free us up to do the things we have always wanted to do ..... that is.... free to travel, spend more time together, follow His lead for new adventures, no more retail store after 27 years, more time with kids, but still MORE ART and probably some sewing classes for girls ..... that is a dream right now ..... but the ART won't stop, it will be here on the blog as soon as we finish remodeling our NEW/OLD smaller home about 20 miles away. SO STAY TUNED ... we'll be having a big sale and beautiful house and property SALE in the SUMMER!! MORE FREEDOM ON IT'S WAY!!! WooHoo!!! And THANKS for all your support the last twenty seven years in my shop!!!

Friday, October 17, 2008

TREASURES FROM MY MOTHER...

I've been weeding out and going through old china that I had collected for years....and in a box of my Mother's stuff, I found these "Bird Nests"...in some plastic ice cream containers......obviously cherished and prized by her.....I don't know how I missed them.....but it is like a little visit from her....the eggs were mine and I added them for these pictures....feel free to use these photos if you like for art work.....she LOVED birds and she would watch a pair of Cardinals move their babies from the nest ....even if it took all afternoon! I know because I sat with her on one of those occasions....and now finding these "Nests" makes me so grateful for that afternoon with her....just before she had her stroke. She was partially paralyzed for thirteen years and couldn't walk or talk....but she would ...Oooo and Ahhh ...and make precious sounds...kind of like baby talk while smiling big....winking...and squeezing your hand! You always knew what she was saying! She loved people...especially children. Everyone in all the stores knew her! They would run over to her wheel chair as she made her way over to them....and there were lots of hugs....always. She was so much fun....Once when riding with me to go to my tenth year high school reunion....we kept seeing all these vegetables all over the highway!! She insisted we stop and retrieve as many as possible.....she said, "They are perfectly good....and not a bruise on them!" We kept stopping for more on this almost deserted highway, occasionally seeing an eighteen wheeler.....and a few coyotes.......we began to laugh and laugh at the sight of....US! She said, "I can just see the headlines in the paper...."TWO 'CUTE' TOMATOES....RUN OVER BY AN EIGHTEEN WHEELER WHILE PICKING UP VEGETABLES.................on the highway!" We were cute BACK THEN.......in those days. She was loved and cherished by our whole family....especially loved by my Dad in his special way....buying her diamonds and caring for her those thirteen years in a wheelchair.....always making sure she had her nails painted and taking her weekly to have her hair done......he (Pappa) was a regular at the local beauty shop......he would sweep up for the gals when they were cutting hair......not too bad for a retired Colonel!....however he was a farm boy....and I was proud of that more.....proud of both of them....they were loved and are so missed. Nelda, thank you for painting those wonderful bird nests....and bringing back memories of a loved and cherished Mother....and her bird nests! (We LOVED Dad too!) Check her (Nelda's) blog for the paintings!...and my friend PJ'S too!!

4 comments:

deb did it said...

Hi Sherry! Your blog is whimsical and wonderful.You and I have actually met, at your shop! and maybe you are still holding some tiny bowls for me?

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

Your Mom was a special lady. So fun, could communicate without saying a word. Always had the lipstick on, her hair done, looking so done up. It was a treasure knowing both of them. love, PJ

Anonymous said...

I am having some serious bird nest envy! Love your photos. Displaying the nests on creamers is so pretty. Thanks for sharing your Mom with us. She was a very special lady. She would be so proud of what you have done with her treasured nests.

vintage girl at heart said...

These are so sweet and the memories even more so I bet!! Thanksfor sharing these with us... memories shared are the best ones!!
Love your blog. The artwork above is beautiful!!
((It seems a few of us have birds on the brain of late))